After thinking about why we exist as a church, what we are seeking to become, and what drives this ministry, we prepared the following statements about the misssion, vision, and core values of Fairlawn Christian Reformed Church.
The mission of Fairlawn Church is to glorify God by being a community of Christian disciples who witness to his salvation in Jesus Christ and work for the building of his kingdom.
Fairlawn Christian Reformed Church envisions:
1) A group of seekers who COME to experience God’s work among us:
- Accept God’s invitation to participate in the work he does through followers of Christ here and around the world.
- Meet each week for public worship to hear preaching from God’s Word, and to glorify him through singing, prayer, celebration, and regular participation in the sacraments.
- Invite others to be a part of our fellowship.
For God’s loving and gracious invitation to follow Jesus, see Matthew 9:13, Matthew 11:28, Mark 1:17, John 14:6, Romans 5:8, Ephesians 2:4-9, 1 Peter 2:4. For the refreshing promises of Christ to the church, see Isaiah 55:1, Revelation 21:9, Revelation 22:17.
2) A congregation of learners who GROW in our understanding of God’s Word in our lives:
- Listen to the teaching of the Bible through sermons, group studies and personal readings, applying this to our practice of the Christian faith.
- Create attractive learning environments that provide space for both youth and adult members to discover the joy of following Jesus as individuals.
- Learn how to express God’s care for our community and world through prayer, acts of witness, and service.
For the challenge to continue learning and maturing in faith, moving towards God rather than remaining static, see Ephesians 4:15, 2 Thessalonians 1:3, 2 Peter 3:18.
3) A family of Christ followers who SHARE life with one another as God works in our lives:
- Appreciate the unique gifts God gives each of us and nurture their use in God’s world.
- Encourage a sense of belonging through care and hospitality.
- Engage our neighbors in “front-yard” conversations where God’s message meets people in their daily lives.
For the invitation to receive and celebrate God’s grace in community, to give of ourselves, and to grow in unity as a congregation, see Matthew 25:23, Luke 1:58, Romans 12:13, 2 Corinthians 12:9, Ephesians 3:6, Colossians 1:2, 1 Thessalonians 2:8, 2 Thessalonians 2:14, 1 Timothy 6:18, Hebrews 13:16.